Thursday, March 6, 2014

Baked Tindora Kurkure | Kovakkai

This is a vegetable I tasted after marriage as it was not  readily available in my native. Some of my neighbors in my place have told me that they use this vegetable to clean wooden surfaces (!!).Though  I was skeptical for few times in the beginning,slowly I got used to it.


All through the year it is available in  Indian grocers in US.Last week I got lot of this kovakkai (Tamil) / tindora as there was a deal. I believe that necessity brings the best in you.See, that's how this recipe happened.Since I  wanted to use very little oil  but still wanted crunchy and crispy product , I chose to bake it . 


Ingredients


Tindora / Kovakkai                          1 1/2 cup
Red chilli Powder                             1 1/4 tsp
Turmeric                                           1/4 tsp
Asafoetida                                        1/4 tsp
Rice Flour                                         2 tsp
besan/chick pea flour                        2 tsp
Salt                                                  to taste
Oil                                                   2 tsp

Method


  1.  Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Wash and drain tindora and cut it into thin vertical slices.
  3. Transfer it into a microwave safe  bowl and add  a tbsp water.
  4. Microwave for 2 minutes in high.
  5. In a wide bowl ,take all the dry masala including salt and mix well.
  6. Now add the cooked tindora to it and mix thoroughly and ensure that each piece is well coated.
  7. Spread it as a single layer in a sheet tray and drizzle oil on top.
  8. Bake for 7minutes, flip them once and bake for another7 minutes.



Serve it warm with rice or chapathi.

Note

You can cook this in stove top too.In that case, heat a kadai with oil and cook in slow flame until you get a crispy texture.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your valuable comments!