Friday, December 12, 2014

Cranberry Pickle | Cranberry Preserve |Cranberry Oorugai

I loooooove pickles and by this time you would have noticed that I'm much on the spicy side. Yes. I try to make another variety before my pickle jar gets empty to maintain the supply chain. But ,very limited quantity (else pickle would end up as a side dish!) is what I consume as that is how it is supposed to be used.



I love cranberry for the sharp acidic nature. I make a rice recipe with it often.But after Thanksgiving ,  got some more on good deals. This is exactly when I met Simi Jois through FB. I was like a small kid visiting Disney for the first time (spellbound , dumbstruck .......) when I visited her blog,turmericnspice.Each and every picture inspired  me so much that made me realize I have a long way to go.And there I saw her spicy cranberry pickle.The same minute I decided to try that.

Here I'm with my cranberry pickle with slight modifications to suit my taste buds.I tried making a small quantity . I have used sesame oil ( Since I got the mindset nallenai illama oorugai illai meaning no pickle without sesame oil from my mom.Also I haven't used molasses.



On seeing that bottle with pickle,My husband would ask me "When are you going to let me try that?".
I used to tell him, this is not instant pickle,let's just wait so that the pickle gets ready. After two weeks time, today I tried tasting them.verdict - irresistibly delicious !! A big thanks to Simi once again.Now I would eagerly wait for the arrival of fresh cranberries.




Ingredients

Fresh Cranberry .................................1 cup
Mustard seeds..................................... 1 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds ................................. 11/2 tbsp
Asafoetida ........................................... 1/2 tsp
Sea Salt .............................................. to taste
Red chilli Powder ................................ 2 tbsp
Sesame oil ............................................ 3 tbsp
Turmeric ............................................. 1/2 tsp


Method

  • Wash and dry the cranberry completely.
  • Dry roast the fenugreek seeds until  a little darker than golden brown in a slow flame.(do not brun them) and keep it aside.
  • In the same pan , dry roast the mustard a bit,they need not crackle and let it cool.(alternately,you can sun dry also)
  • Once mustard and fenugreek cools down , transfer to a blender along with sea salt ,turmeric, red chilli powder, asafoetida and blitz until coarse( I like little texture, you can make it fine too).
  • Now heat oil in the same pan and turn off the heat and add the ground mix.
  • Now mix it with cranberry and transfer in to a glass container once it cools and allow it to get ready for 2 to 3 weeks.

Note

  • Little  it of water can ruin the pickle, so completely dry them.
  • Always use clean dry spoons.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your valuable comments!