Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Whole wheat lacha parata | Veechu Parota

Being a popular street food,this parata has various names.Malabar parota,Ceylon parota,veechu parota or Lacha parata.In south India,it is very common evening /night food served along with 'Salna'.When you walk through the roads, you will not miss this.


My Sister and brother would always pick this while I pick something else,when we get to eat outside.For some odd reason I had trouble digesting this particular parota made with maida | all purpose flour,during my childhood.Both my brother and sister would tease me for the same.



My aunt "Latha Chithi ' is an expert in preparing this parota.Whenever there is a family gathering we can see Latha chithi preparing countless parotas and serving the family happily.
I like to avoid maida |all purpose flour as much as I can in  my kitchen.So here is my whole wheat veechu parota.





Ingredients


Whole wheat flour ........................ 2 cups+ etra for dusting
Salt .............................................. to taste
Water........................................... 1 cup + little extra
Oil............................................... 2 tbsp


Method


  1. Mix wheat flour ,salt and water and knead a soft dough.
  2. Coat the dough with very little oil on top and rest it for 30 minutes.
  3. Take a lemon size ball and roll it to a thin chapathi.
  4. Try to make it as much thin as you can.
  5. Then  fold it slightly.
  6. Apply a very thin coating of oil with your finger tip and sprinkle a bit of flour for every single fold.
  7. This helps in keeping the layers separate.
  8. Make as much thin folds as you can.(like you fold dhupatta | saree pleats)
  9. Hold the two edges and pat gently on the rolling board.
  10. This will make the dough elongate more.
  11. Then roll it in circular shape.
  12. Slightly apply oil on top.
  13. Make such rolls and let it rest for another 30 minutes.
  14. Later gently roll with rolling pin.
  15. Heat a griddle on medium high.
  16. Cook the rolled parota each side for a minute.(you can see golden spots)
  17. Pile up 3 cooked parotas and keep the parata pile between your palms kept side ways and  slightly pat them |squish them to enhance the layers.

Enjoy hot parotas with any kuruma .Check my chettinad paneer kurma , if needed





No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your valuable comments!